Wednesday, May 17, 2006

New Benchmarks

ISB has broken all records it seems. In terms of the number of people who have been admitted this year, scores, the gmat the diversity, the number of women and a host of other factors.

I did read that people have rejected B-Schools like Yale, CMU, Purdue, Columbia, Stanford GSB, UCLA and Insead, which is a big surprise because if I had got any of these, I would have definitely gone there. Let me tell you - I didnt apply to any of these schools. This is just my personal opinion. No offence to anyone.

I hope that the people who have rejected these schools have one main reason as COST. This has to be a reason because ISB is the only Indian School that brings faculty from the best US Schools to teach courses to students at afoordable cost. Going to Kellogg (that's after you manage to get the admit) and spending close to 50 lacs INR on education is a tough decision, provided the fact that banks here hesitate to give you loans for such enormous amounts. In that way, this place is great because every course has an International Faculty involvement. So, we dont miss the american experience to some extent.

Apart from this I would accept another reason being one's choice to live and work in India as the country's economy is just expanding and developing so rapidly. Which is also okay because there is no point in you going all the way to Yale and then get back to Asian Paints for a job. You'll spend the rest of your life repaying your loans.

As such, the MBA is an American Concept. So studying in an American School would make a lot of sense - in terms of getting maximum exposure and internationalism.
Then the other thing being building an international network, which is very self-explanatory.

So, again, in my personal opinion (I would like to reiterate this a number of times because I dont want people to come back to me with arguments), schools like Insead or Columbia or Stanford GSB definitely score over ISB in a lot of factors. People who have chosen ISB against these schools have their own reasons for the same. We are not here to debate that.

ISB still has a long way to go to reach that level. The US B-Schools actually stand for the right definition of Educational Institutions because they have evolved through so many years of research.

We are very new to the world. We have done the right thing till today and we will continue to excel. Very soon, we will get into that Top 50 B-Schools in the World list produced by Financial Times. And now that I am here, I will give all my enthu in the efforts to bring ISB to the international play-ground.

No comments: