Monday, January 01, 2007

Goodbye 2006

Yet another year has gotten over. Well, whats different about this year is that nowadays everything comes with a management perspective. So, as of today I can just think of takeways from the previous year. That's life being an MBA Student. Frankly I dont know whether I can list down specific takeways, but then I can always list down some of the important things that happened and maybe reflect on that to see if there are any lessons learned.

The beginning of 2006 was a time for enjoyment. I was in London and I was having a great time. Citigroup was a wonderful place to work with. I had good mentors and life was peaceful. B-School interviews started suddenly and then things started to change. I did my Oxford interview and the moment I finished I knew I had screwed up. Then came the telephonic interview for the ISB. Soon after that was my interview for LBS. So, the first quarter of 2006 was pretty much about interviews and my plans for an mba.

My company wanted me to go to Zurich and join another project. I was half minded. Well, when I look back now, I think I should have taken that project.

Then it was time to quit and party in London. By March I was back in sultry Chennai. By then my admission to the ISB had come through and I was all set to get to Gachibowli. I quit i-flex and came here.

First week into the academic grind and I knew that this was not the place for me. I had met a lot of new people and made good friends - we had a gang too. Being with a gang of great friends was the only thing that told me to keep going and somehow get out in 49 weeks. So my objective then changed to just make sure that I graduated.

Okay, thats pretty much what happened in my life last year. Forget the family and friends weddings - that happens every year. New additions to that list would be my friends becoming parents.

I neednt write about my life at the campus here. That gets reflected on the blog almost every other day.

Takeways: As I do always, take life as it is. I did once seriously think that I should get out of this place. But then, later I told myself that since I have come here, might as well get the damn thing finished and walk out. So a little bit of confidence crept in and helped me.

God is there - there have been depressing situations. I have questioned the purpose of doing an mba and my existence in general. My faith has kicked in (set aside the boring facts to the back of my mind) and has kept me cheerful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May god bless you Mama...
Wish you a nice and easy 2007...

Maria George said...

Hi Mama,

I dint realise that you really dint like that place... any particular reason?

Maria