Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Whose job is it anyway

Everyday we attend PPTs. And this goes on - as I said before. There is not end to it. Previously, people were very scared about the 25 jobs going down one by one for every mandatory PPT not attended, but now they are not bothered. Shorlists rejects are so common for a lot of people that they are happy with even 20. So the next step is to bunk some of the PPTs without a slight consideration of other consequences such as - what if the company doesnt come to campus next year? Why should I be bothered as long as I get a ob and get out from here. Its not my problem.

My aim is to get a job and go Onsite to US or Europe. I just cant believe that some people who belong to the 250 odd IT community on campus are so friggin finicky about going to the US and Europe. The only question they ask to the recruiters is - Are there oppurtunities in the US? How long will you take to send us there? And they come to every IT company's PPT and ask the same question. It was so funny today when one asked - will we be posted directly to the US? I was like - gimme a break. you are not a GC Holder to fly you to Georgia from Gachibowli!! The great american job dream has still not left the indian management grad's mind. And its so happened that news of such a dream has also reached the ears of the exchange students from the US. But for a bunch of people who are so bent upon catching the earliest flight, a good number of us want to stay in india.

and there are people like me. my criteria for a job is like - chennai. if not, then hyderabad. definitely not delhi and bombay. what about bangalore - i'd rather live in hosur. next criteria is IT Services firms, which is a lot in number and then focus on the Banking vertical which is also quite predominant. But, when all these conditions join together, it reduces the job postings on the career website by like 70%, which is very good. I dont need to spend an awful lot of time writing EoIs and resume.

coming back to the ppts - in the one during the weekend, i found someone asking questions and then indirectly trying to sell his business plan. if it was a one-t-one conversation, then i wouldnt have had any problem. but then, this was in front of a 70 strong audience.

then there are doctors and chartered accountants who have applied to jobs in the IT Practice of a company - they say that they have the IT experience of using a laptop and logging service complaints to the helpdesk. in that case, i'd say - I consume Crocin almost every month and I can understand the drug's effects pretty well. Can I apply to GlaxoSmithKline in their Drug Marketing Group. I also interact with Doctors on a regular basis (whenever I fall sick!!!), so I think I qualify for HealthCare Consulting as well. Hmm, all this is just a beginning. I think there is lots more to come by.

3 comments:

Suresh S Murthy said...

Its really ridiculous to hear ppl claiming exp in areas in which hardly they hardly know anything abt.
I haven't seen much abt the entrepreneurial ventures expressed by any ISBian of ur batch as yet! Are there any such ppl, and if so, what are their plans?

Mama said...

well, its very difficult to start a venture right after mba becos you already have a decent loan to pay up and VCs do not give money to ppl just out of school. they expect you to get some real world post-mba experience. if u have the money, then you can start off and the VCs would join. else if the plan is so compelling that it cant be postponed, then VCs show interest. there are a few like that. nothing concrete as yet. we can wait and see.

Suresh S Murthy said...

yes, I suppose its pretty obvious for ppl to wait a bit before they become entrepreneurs themselves. But ISB should work in the direction to churn out more ppl who in the long run, will become entrepreneurs who create jobs not only within India but also abroad. After all its an 1 year executive MBA!