Saturday, December 30, 2006

Resume Forgery

Well, I didnt want to write this, but then I couldnt stop myself. More than a week back, I made a visit to the printer room in the Student Village to pick up my assignment and then I found a resume lying there. Our of curiosity, I picked it up and started reading it. To my surprise, there were some unwarranted claims.

These claims were part of this person's achievements during his time at the ISB. It was just shocking to me. I never expected this.

It was during Solstice that one of the Alumni gave a presentation on what all people would do and he also touched upon the resume aspect. He told that people would claim insane stuff and nobody can do anything about it. Its all dependant on personal integrity and honesty. he also gave an example where one person had worked with a finance firm on some Private Equit related excel sheets and then he wrote on his resume that he had started a Private Equity Centre of Excellence for the firm. Thats the extent to which people go. He ended that topic with a note - If you take your resume to your previous manager and show it, he should not have any problem. And he was sure that more than 90% of the batch cannot do it because they tend to make such claims.

Fine, sometimes resumes have to be written like that to impress recruiters. I am not worried about what you did in your previous job. I dont think I can validate whatever you claimed you did in your job. Its impossible. In fact, to be frank, I myself have used high frequency words to make my achievements sound great. So, in all probability I would fail that test too. But, then what about your claims while at ISB. Thats effin nonsense on so many resumes I have seen till now.

Lets take the Innovation Challenge that happened sometime back. I can take this example becos ISB had 42 teams participating and thats more than half the batch. Some people have quoted stuff like - winner among 440 schools worldwide, and then some more gas, while they had just qualified to being in the top 50 under a single category. Mind you, there were 5 categories and each category had 88 teams. only the top two teams from each category made it to the final. and in that 10, there were two ISB teams. So, ideally, only those people can claim to be finalists. Rest were all just people who qualified from the first round. And these are some things that happen right in front of you and stuff you can actually authenticate without asking anyone else.

Next is the Experiential Learning Programme which is like the summer project. a good number of people just applied to the project and got it without any interview. and then there were some who got their own projects. And these people claim stuff like - i got selected among 420 people for this project. thats totally ridiculous. nobody competed for your project. it was just your group that applied for the project and how can you say that you had a competition and you got selected through an elimination?

its so frustrating. i never knew that people would go to such an extent to get a fat paying job. they say that the recruiter can see through your resume and separate the truth and fart. i really dont think so.

but yes, you cannot blame the system or the recruiter for this one. what can they do. they are here for people and they believe that the resumes are genuine. its just us - the student community who is to be blamed. and i am writing all this after looking at less than 5 resumes. if i see another 50 then i'd probably pack my bags and get out of this place.

8 comments:

Suresh S Murthy said...

Now thats really bad! Something that isn't gonna do any gud to the reputation of ISB. As a matter of fact, whatever ISB has aquired to today in terms of its name and fame, its purely bcoz of its class of students. But the trend offlate set by forged resumes isn't a good sign for ISB.

Anonymous said...

i know. there are some bad elements in the batch. only self realization can change them. the ppl who get a good name for the school are always there. i know them and can count on them that they will never do such things.

Kiran Kumar Aalla said...

You can assess people on many aspects such as, Intelligence, Achievements, Communication, analytical skills, initiative and so on but it's so difficult to measure two things - Honesty and Maturity. Time is the only teacher but for someone who is not open it will take a long time and sometimes forever. Suresh rightly pointed out the fact that ISB is what it is today mainly due to it's students.

Mama said...

every student on campus is definitely talented and capable of scaling any height. thats the reason why the school is doing good. but as you pointed out, the maturity is still not there.

Suresh S Murthy said...

Well I don't doubt the potentialities of any1 @ ISB. I know they are all talented. But u know, the incident u quoted reminds me of a quote from HP, "Often, one needs to choose between what is right, and what is easy". I guess thats what u meant. Is it?

Kiran Kumar Aalla said...

Let me bring another incident on similar lines that I came to know yesterday. There was this applicant to ISB from Mumbai, he contacted me on Yahoo IM one day and we chatted for sometime during which we shared our profile, GMAT score (his GMAT score was less than 650), experience and few other details. He was then asking about other schools and I gave whatever details I had. This was after the R1 deadling was over and before the interviews got started. He was shortlisted for interview and later he even posted his interview experience.

Yesterday while I was online someone whom I never interacted (atleast the ID) came online and said Hi and asked me if I can recall him. Before I could respond he mentioned that he has something to confess. From the interaction I had after that I came to know that this guy had used a different name, different alias all the while, just because of his low GMAT score and also to hide his age. Only saving grace is that, since he got a reject, he was open enough to admit what he did. Following Ohm's law we seem to get lured by the low resistance path but sometimes, where it matters, you may have to choose the not-so-easy path.

Anonymous said...

yep suresh, i agree. all that one wants is a shortlist and if such things can get him one, then the easy way out is preferred. after that cracking an interview comes naturally.

hitha said...

They will get caught eventually.

When I joined my present company they were on a recruitment drive. So we were interviewing candidates for jobs. One day my mgr gave me a CVof a candidate who worked in my prev company. I was really excited to interview this lady since she came from my old company ,company sentimental etc.

During the interview,she was claimed that she was the team lead of the team and did a project on her own etc. Not only was she lying about her achievements she was lying abt compay perks.

When I told her that I worked in that company and she was not the team lead but someone else. The shock she went thru was worth watching.

So one day they will get caught for sure.