Monday, October 09, 2006

Placements - Co2007

This has been the craziest weekend ever in the ISB for me. Whacko!! We had the Innovation Challenge to be done and we spent the whole night working on the concept. It was just great. Three members in our team were in madras and we coordinated the whole damn thing through a conference call that lasted the whole night. In fact, I have been so frustrated while staying up all night and studying for courses. This was just not like that. Every hour, we were coming up with new ideas and it was just fantastic.

Later today, I got a chance to look at the Placement Brochure for our batch. Pretty Impressive stuff, but yes, I came across something that made me go - What the F. I saw profiles of batchmates who happened to belong to my same year of undergraduation and they have managed to get their profile under the 5-8 yrs experience category of the brochure. Well, mine's 4 years and 9mths, but I still fall under the 2-5 yrs category.

So what did they do? Well, my guess is that they also perhaps had 4yrs and 9mths or 10mths or 11mths. And then they decided to round it off to 5 yrs. How does that sound?

And what difference does this make? Well, a number of big names that come for recruiting do not always look at resumes for shortlisting people. They look at the brochure and select people, and if they want people with 5yrs experience and above, these ******** stand a probability of getting selected for interviews.

I just wanted to blow my top in front of the Career Services guys, but what will they do. They can just write what the students tell them. They cant go around and keep track of what each person did since under-grad.

So, we learn strategies, marketing concepts, valuations and every damn thing throughout the course, but then some lose honesty and integrity. Or were they like this right from teh beginning. Just that I didnt notice. We also talked about governance and business ethics. And all that was just hearsay. Personal ethics takes a big six. But I guess, thats the harsh part of life. Getting to know the truth when its not important and cannot make a iota of difference. Atleast, we can be happy that things like this do come to your attention, just that we should be a little more careful while judging people.

1 comment:

Suresh S Murthy said...

mama, very sad to hear abt ppl employing such 'cheap tricks' outta there to ensure the get in to big companies. I mean these ppl seem to have forgotten all ethics or as u said, I doubt if they ever really had one! Anywayz mama, I would like to wish u all d best yaar. Do well.