Monday, January 28, 2008

Bheema: Disgusting violence and nothing more

One of those usual hot day afternoons in chennai. I drive into the cinema hall to park and the person at the gate asks me if there is someone below 18 who is with me to watch the movie. That's when the thought struck me. What am I going to witness for the next three hours? How am i going to feel at the end of it? Are scenes in the movie so gory that they dont want to allow children into the hall?

With such questions I walked into the hall.



Bheema is a story about a youth who gets inspiration from seeing a local don in his neighborhood. What has tamil cinema gotten into these days? We are in a culture and system where we are expecting the children and young citizens to derive inspiration from achievements of people like Kalam, Rajat Gupta, Tatas, and Birlas etc. And here we have someone who wants to go around beating people to death. That's one good reason why I dont want any child to watch this movie and I appreciate the guy at the gate to have asked me that question.

I dont think I can appreciate this movie as an entertainer. So, you are guessing this review is going to drag this movie to the gutter. Not really.

Anyway, what you'd probably take back from this movie is about the countless number of people who get beaten up by the hero and his gang. You'd just want a breather from a gang fight that just finished and within minutes another one would begin. In that aspect, I'd give a bow to Kanal Kannan for his research on keeping the fight sequences quite intense.

As a hero, for Vikram, there is very less to perform - what we call dialog delivery. All he does is beats up close to 50 people at a time or shoots a few while escaping their bullets like Agent Smith. Everything about Vikram in this movie is larger than life. So, there is nothing you can really compare and contrast.

Trisha - I wonder why she signed up for this movie. She has no role to play. She is just there because tamil cinema needs a girl for romance and then comes all the nonsense about love songs and glamour. I liked Trisha's costume though. She looked very pretty in those tops and skirts. Not just the design, but the colors as well. Most of them were mild and pleasant pastel colors, not striking to the eye, but still making that impact so you'll want to notice.



Prakash Raj as the don shows a lot of meaning in his role. He not ruthless, no does he terrorize. He is patient and understanding. He is perhaps a father figure. Some of his conversations with Vikram and Lakshmi Gopalswamy (who plays his wife) is interesting and worth noting. This is where the inner conscience speaks and when it does, it speaks nothing but the truth.

Everybody has a small amount of fear inside them. Nobody is fearless.

Music is not very appealing. After a while, you'll notice that the rhythm and base chords for most songs is the same. And then when you compare that base model with other songs that Harris J composed for few other movies, you'll realise that its the same thing that is getting repeated time and again.

When the movie ended, I was a bit surprised. Although I had my own suspicions about the characters, I wasnt too sure. I guess that's perhaps the best way to have ended this movie. Nothing else would have worked better for such a horrible screenplay.

6 comments:

Ms.N said...

If you had seen the other "blobkbuster" Vel, you would have appreciated this movie definitely...


i liked the ending thouhg - kinda woke us up and left us stunned (no - we had no clue).

Anonymous said...

Vel - reminds me only about the whining mother - Saranya. Nothing else. That movie was equally hopeless.

Anonymous said...

Well, now that you have taken such a keen notice of Trisha's apparel, i think its worth mentioning that "not the usual" happened in this movie. Trisha wore the same tunic twice, which is a rarity or something that I don't remember happening at all in tamil cinema.

Anonymous said...

aartz - coming to think of it, YES. practical thinking. i get fed up of seeing women walking out of middle-class homes in designer wear. in that way, this movie was a little better.

Anonymous said...

Btw Nan, Wonder if you remember me...this is Aarthi Muralidaren and I worked with you in i-flex. If that didn't ring a bell - the gal who belonged to the mupperum deviyar clan - Deepali, Aruna and it was me.
Well, just wanted to tell you that you've been doing a great work with your blog and I'm one of its ardent readers and my lunch time is devoted to rummaging your musings.
Keep giving more!

Anonymous said...

hey thanks.. i do remember you. cant forget the good times ever. keep reading. i'll do my best.