Friday, August 31, 2007

Overheard...

I heard this when I was sitting in the office bus on my way back from work.

(Conversation translated from Tamil)

Woman speaking to someone on the Phone: I just got on to bus. I should reach by 9pm. Dont worry, I will not miss "Kolangal".

"Kolangal" - a tamil word in plural for Kolam, which is a design that is made out of color powder. You could call it Rangoli.

Anyway, Kolangal here refers to a mega-serial/soap that has been running for more years now. Mega-serials/soaps in Tamil Nadu are known for their baseless and dragging storylines, filled with crying daughters, agony aunts and nagging men.

What I was surprised about is the amount of interest that this woman showed in terms of being on time to see some goddamm soap which is so irritating and a total waste of time. We complain of our mom's and grandmom's watching these programmes day in and day out and here we have young women in chennai who are interested in these things. You'd say that this is a one off, I wouldnt quite agree. Chennai women are still like that.

1 comment:

Nithya said...

U cant comment based on "one" such woman! It was one-of-those-kind of woman that you happen to hear. FYI - Chennai woman r way better than tht and even if they r, u guys still need them to get u goin !! :)