Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Merciless People

I was born, insignificant to this world. Many came into this world like me, in fact, some, with me as well. We didnt know what this world had for us, neither our parents did. They obeyed their masters and followed them wherever they were. Life wasnt subject to torture and pain, but was perhaps at the mercy of a few. With a meek understanding of everything around me I started growing up. I played with my friends without knowing day or night. Our dreams were restricted to smaller pastures among concrete jungles. Sometimes even those areas were fenced. And the focus shifted to mass dumping grounds. A few years passed. I grew. I grew without knowing what was happening around me. Suddenly one day - mommy was gone. I dont know what happened. Its not that I distinctly know how mommy looks like but she was there for me at least for sometime and then I almost felt like I was left to be by my own.

Then one day, a fierce looking creature arrived. Although it has a close resemblance to how the masters were, it still looked dangerous. Within a few minutes, it caught hold of some of us, dumped us on a mini-van and drove. We were separated. Separated from what was our small world - it wasnt a paradise, but we felt safe when we were there. We are taken to another place and the future wasnt clear. I cried, but no one would listen. I tried to break free from the clutches, but I could not. Even if I did, where would I go? I was feeling lost. Wherever I'd go, I'd probably be caught and brought back again. Suddenly......

That was it. It was a horrible sight. Seeing an animal getting slaughtered. I didnt see it directly but I could feel that within me. There were cries before the small thing was brought to the insides of the meat shop. If the creature had a sense of what was happening, then it would have known that death was closer. If it was own when the guy was getting it into the truck, then imagine. What if someone caught hold of you in the morning, dumped you onto a truck and told you that you will be dead in few hours. Its the same feeling. Just not expressed. Knowing exactly when you will be dead is perhaps the worst thing you want to know in your life. At least God has been great enough not to give these speechless creatures that sense. But isnt there a better way to do this? Use an anaesthetic or something.

No comments: