Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cornered

So I was at a family wedding. Something funny had to happen. And so it began.

Relatives will be called R1, R2 etc. Otherwise its too difficult. My mom's extended family was almost 100+ strong during the wedding. Rather complicated.

The scene is the evening Engagement and Sangeeth. And everyone is ready to pose in front of my new companion - the D80.

Amidst all that noise...



R1: Hey, did you see that girl? (Immediately cautioning me) Now don't turn around and look behind. She is wearing a white salwar and sitting on the second row from the dais. It seems her dad is totally ready to... (i am pretending that i did not hear this part).. so what do you say?

Me: (Not very convinced with the argument and also not knowing what to say). Is it?

I turned around and looked at the girl.

Me: Oh, this one eh. This topic (girl i meant) came up some time back also and I didn't want to pursue it.

R1: Why?

Me:(In my mind - its so easy to ask questions. You know how difficult it is to give an explanation for a NO) I really don't know but I don't think I want to get married to her.

R1: I think she is really pretty and she will be the best person for our family. She looks just right. What more do you need? I don't think you'll get a better person that her.

(Judgment was made now. I was losing it. But I told myself - this is just another stage. I just need to comfortably get myself out of this nonsense)

Me: No, if this is getting to where I am guessing it will, I will not be here for the wedding tomorrow. I will not come back tomorrow morning.

R1 goes to a group where R2 to Rn are sitting. The topic has been introduced to everyone now. So all eyes are in one direction. I am trying to keep myself away from talking to any other person.

R2: Why, what's wrong?

Me: I don't feel like it.

R2: Then what kind of a girl would you marry?

Me: (Not wanting to sing "Oru Ooril Azhage" from the movie "Kaakha Kaakha") Well, when I get married to that someone, I'll let you know and you can find out.

R3:(who was standing behind R2 and watching in silence) Oh, so you want the bells to ring as an indication? (referring to the Tamil movie "Mozhi" )

Me:(totally embarrassed) Maybe, I really need the bell to ring.

R1 calls R4 who has been running around and meeting everyone at the hall.

R1(explains everything to R4): So what do you say?

R4: She is ok. Can't say anything wrong about her.

Me: Well, I don't want people who you find to be just "ok" nor people with whom you can find any fault, so you judge them as just the right person.

R5: What's happening here?

Then R5 gets a dump of whatever happened till now. R5 takes a quick look and then..

R5: Hmm... she is ok but I wouldn't recommend.

Me: (feeling happy that I was not getting cornered) Now that's what I call a real savior.

2 comments:

Siddhi said...

hahahaha

Somehow I get the feeling that this will not be the end of the matter

Enakshi said...

Funny!
You see, the bells are ringing for your relatives R1 to Rn, but not for you.
Synchronisation is required.
;D