Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Santosh and Me

Being in the market, you get to witness many interesting events. I finally decided to blog about one.

So, the astrologer tells the girls dad(we got to hear about it later) - this horoscope is an excellent match. everyone in the family is well known to me. you can blindly give your daughter's hand to their son.

wait - i thought, love was blind. nowadays even astrologer-confirmed-arranged-marriages have become blind!!! anyway, sometimes i feel that love is not just blind, but its deaf and dumb too.

Few phone calls happened between the concerned parties - talks about family, ancestors, cities they have lived in and people they know etc etc. This is the background check. Then an email id was given.

Not being able to handle the daily rants, I finally decided to take the next step. So you know, the usual process begins. Introduction. And this is also like your "Expression of Interest" letter when you apply for your mba job application. Even though your skill sets are not going to change, you have to customize certain aspects so that it doesn't look like a cut and paste job. That was done.

No reply for about a week. Usually if I don't get any communication within a day or two, I give up. In this case, I was like - No way, even if I get a reply anytime later. I was thinking - after hours of random conversations on the phone between the families and trying to connect too many grey haired men and women that they could possibly know, what could be wrong? Or is it really taking this person a week to respond? Sometimes people write in installments you see.

Anyway, I gave my judgment on this case and closed the file from my side. Defense's (mom) objections were overruled.

Two days back, we got a call from the dad on the other side. It seems that he had told his daughter not to email until he told her to or something in those lines.

Instantly, the movie Santosh Subramaniam came to my mind. Its an arranged marriage situation and the girl says - "Appa sonnaarunga, neenga romba nallavaru, ongala kalyanam pannikitta en life romba santhoshama irukkumnu"(my dad told me that you are nice guy and if i get married to you, my life will be good)

I replayed that for my situation.

"Appa sonnaarunga, naan sollara varaikkum email pannaathae" (my dad told me that he will come and tell me whether to email or not)

"Appa sonnaarunga, neenga romba nalla payyan nu."
(my dad told me that you are a very good person)

It was absolutely HILARIOUS. I was happy that I had already decided against this. Coming to think of it, its actually scary. If parents make the decision for the girl (its not just this one, but i have come across a few more) - oh my god!

12 comments:

b a l a j i said...

So... mami is still elusive :(

Anonymous said...

you seem totally freaked out... are you?? you want to be freaked out a lil more?;)

Mama said...

hahaha, i guess this is what happens when u go through an arranged marriage. its fun and i guess im gonna see more of it.

Anonymous said...

"Not being able to handle the daily rants, I finally decided to take the next step". hmm... ethavuthu nambaraa mathiri ezhuthu da mama! you look more desperate than that :)

Mama said...

@Anon - desperate! you don't realize how scary it is to get married to someone after 3 phone conversations and two meetings (that's all the time you get). at least for me. but i guess i am going to give in to that situation one day or the other.

Venkat said...

mama shit! be careful dude. you deserve better is all I can say.

Abhinav Vinayakh Shankar said...

Why is this post labeled alcohol? interesting..

Unknown said...

Mama make your own way da atleast then you can feel good that you made the decision to get yourself crusified( married).

Yi Bhopal said...

Mama ........ It must be a lot of fun though!! ;)

Mama said...

actually it was tagged 'alcohol' because i had something else in mind to write, but reserved that for the next post.

Mama said...

@venkat - thanks da.

@sid - that really sounds scary!

@NK - Fun? its fun at my expense as well...

Jyothsna said...

arranged marriages are crazy! n its fun! no doubt!!! but no complaining when "NOT INTERESTED","JUS A RANDOM NO" etc are considered perfectly fine responses after merely checkin out snaps .. guess we use em to our advantage..or disadvantage in some cases.. ;)
neways as some matrimonial sites say.. all the best for ur search!