Monday, February 19, 2007

One Down and Thanks

The first two days of placements were crazy. I wasn't in a mood to write about what I was going through. I hope you can imagine how tough it would have been for a lot of us here. Even today, when I write this, I am not sure how many offers have been made or how many have accepted offers, but the situation today is a lot better than what it was when the day began yesterday morning. As of today, I believe that almost 250-300 offers have been made. And thats really wonderful considering the fact that this is just the end of day 3 and we have a month to go.

My first day was horrible. My first interviews was with a major bank for an OPS job. After my interview, the guy said that I was over-qualified. I was horrified. I asked him why I was shortlisted and he didn't give me a great answer. Till the end of the day, they did not respond back to any of us who had interviewed that day with them. So, I gave up. They came back today and asked me to interview again and I refused with due respect.

Then another Hyderabad located product company called me. They needed truly technical people and I was trying to tell them that this was a b-school and not a science school. They did not believe me and started asking me questions on systems and architecture. I was totally taken aback. I would have been happy if they had given me an option of not taking an interview with them at all. But they forced me to do a round one with them and then dinged me. I knew that was going to happen. And for all this, they made me wait for more than 3 hours. Sincerely pathetic.

The third one was one of the largest conglomerates in India. I wonder why they got a day one slot here. They should be on day 3 or maybe even day 10. They'd advertised for almost 10 jobs and shortlisted only 20 people. and finally, they made only 5 offers. not even one per listing. in their IT division, they had like 4 jobs and they made only one offer. my interview with them lasted for 15 minutes. After questioning me for a while, the guy asks - "so, you are a statistician by profession?". I was amazed. It was just 5 minutes back, the same guy had asked me about my engineering degree. He didn't even know whom he was interviewing. He had my resume pinned up with someone else's expression of interest! Thats the height of comedy of errors during the placement season.

With all that fun happening, I entered day two. I had two interviews scheduled - both IT. I am not going to explain what happened. There wasn't much of a drama here. Things just got terribly delayed and I got an offer with an IT firm in Chennai. Just what I wanted - the company, location and the package. I got it all. Today, I pulled out of three interviews I had. I just have one more to wait for, which would take a few days.

Coming to the thanks bit - I sincerely felt that I haven't thanked all of you who have been reading my blog since whenever. So this is to all my dear friends living in - India, Africa, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Vietnam, UAE, The entire EU, Britain, USA, Chile, Argentina, Canada and the rest of the world. Thank you guys for being a great support. The journey till today in this place has been just great. Another month and half to go by and I hope to write more.

I still have more to write about what the others have been upto. There have been some funny incidents and some angry ones too. Well, ones that made me angry I meant. We'll talk about those people maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope its not with i-flex chennai!

Anonymous said...

Mama,

Congratulations on your placement. I hope you get what you want (or more philosophically, hope you want what you get )

Good luck,
Rithesh