Monday, September 25, 2006

Yet, somehow I meet the abominable snowman

Today we had our mid-term exam for Investment Analysis. It wasnt that great. Well for obvious reasons that its finance and I hate finance, but then exam wasnt worth anyone's effort. So, the TA sends a document guide for our preparation and that document tells in detail about the chapters that have to be referred to. It was quite comprehensive, in the sense that, nowhere in the course had the prof mentioned that the book would be required. But this email from the TA with the chapter numbers did create a bit of a volcanic erruption and people went crazy xeroxing chapters at the library, sitting day and night with the book. The prep guide also mentioned about the cases we had submitted during the last two weeks. So one had to revise that too.


Considering all this, junta put enuff effort to prepare. And then you know what happens. The prof gives questions similar to the ones from the assignments he had given before to everyone. In fact, for one of the problems, even the numbers and notations werent changed. It was just copied from the assignment soft copy and put into the question paper. I was totally irritated when I saw that. Cant you copy stuff properly and change what is required. It was absolutely ridiculous. I never expected such a question paper. For all the effort we put yesterday staying up late till 2.30 in the night, it would just been good if I had MUGGED up the assignments and gone to the exam hall. I neednt have tried to understand any formulae or the few ne concepts that were taught in class. Not that I perfectly understood everything.


In total, this has been a waste. If this is how things are going to be, I mean, a few exams in the last few terms were also like this. But, what can I say. Is this the inefficiency of the prof or the system? Some of these profs, they are good, no doubt about it. But then asking questions that were asked before, with same numbers - and then asking theory questions like describe this and that, is nowhere close to MBA type.


I really like those exams - one case study, three hours, do whatever you want, talk to anyone, but just write it and submit it.


The subject line is my new test for creativity. Its a Hindu crossword clue. Do comment if you figure it out.

2 comments:

Ms.N said...

yeti

Ms.N said...

how come - has to be yeti!