Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Life changing experiences

About 10 people are seated in a small conference room. Everyone is wearing a white shirt and a black trouser, some sort of a uniform I think. Some of them have their laptops open and the others are chatting up about when is the latest they could leave from that place. A few others were already making calls to the local cab.

All of a sudden, the boss walks in and starts a discussion with everyone. Each one of them quotes a line or two and then its time for him to talk.

And this is what they heard

" We heard all of your thoughts now and today I am going to tell you my story and let me tell you.. this was a life changing experience for me.

About 10 yrs back, I joined the workforce at this place. Prior to that I had about 12 yrs experience. When I joined, I was given a cabin. For the first week, I really couldn't meet my boss. I didnt like my cabin and hence I requested to be seated outside with everyone. They didnt give me that option. So, I decided to sit outside along with the others and started mingling with everyone. Another week was also passing by and I had no work. My boss was very busy in meetings all day.

One day, he came by and told me to work with someone sitting in another town and help that team with some infrastructure. I did that and came back. Again, there was really not much to do.

Slowly, I began to notice that my boss used to leave very late from the office.. roughly around 11pm. I didnt know what he was doing but I wanted to know. There was no way to find out. I decided to stay late and leave only after he left. I used to spend roughly 5 hours at my desk, mostly doing nothing or at the max read some articles on technology. One fine day, the boss noticed me and asked me why I was staying up late. I told him that I wanted to know what he was doing this late and hence stayed. The boss then invited him to late night dinner with a vendor. From then on, the boss would always call him whenever he went out for dinners. During the day, the interactions used to be very minimal.

The opportunity came when my boss gave me the job to take care of vendors. I arranged for all vendor meetings (which probably meant hospitality, food, meeting rooms etc) and ensured everything went fine.

There was no looking back after this. I was always with my boss. Seeing my with my boss, people used to think that I was someone very senior in the company. They used to ask my questions about projects that happened prior to my joining; and I used to confidently answer them like I was there when it happened. To make people in other departments do some work, I used to take my boss' name and even sometimes the names of few other big people in the organization. That ensured that work was always completed.

Sooner, the guy who I worked with first in another city for a small project was reporting to me.

So, friends, all this has been the most important part of my journey in this company and I urge you to take similar steps to chalk out your future here."

Atleast half of the audience was super-shocked. They hadn't expected to hear such a story. There was no light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: