Monday, September 12, 2011

The Monday that was

I got into the office quite early. Two trains and then a small ride in the auto I reached the gate. The corporate office is spread over 500 acres (more than 2 times the size of ISB and 1.5 times BITS Pilani). People actually take shuttle buses to go from one building to another. The building numbers are also a little weird. Building 9 is still under construction(I heard) whereas 1-8 and 10-12 are already functional. This company has many businesses in the same place. There is Oil and Gas, Retail, Technology, Life Sciences, Solar, Food Testing Lab, Textiles and what not (I guess I missed a few). But there are hardly 20000 employees here. There is a lot of open space and some of that is being used to maintain the greenery of the place. There is a horticulture department that takes care of the same.

I met the guy from the external consulting team who gave me an overview of the whole project. After that I spent some time reading old artifacts about the program. Then I met an old friend who had joined a similar team. We spent the next hour chatting up about our old job and what was happening here. It was quite a realization after I heard what he had to say. I am quite sure I will have enough opportunities to talk about the same and can add my experience as well. I met a few other people who had also joined the program in various other departments. A lot of people here speak Hindi right royally. A similar Tamil culture was evident in Cognizant as well. No wonder my friend once told me that its Chennai Technology Solutions and not Cognizant. I used to join a few lunch circles or gossip circles in Cognizant and yes, most of them spoke in Tamil. Matter of convenience I guess.

My first induction / training starts tomorrow. I checked out a few houses in Nerul. I decided that I need a furnished house as it did not make sense to buy all the electrical stuff here, because of the only fact that I dont know how many months I would last in this place (I will talk about that in my posts to come).

No comments: