Sunday, April 15, 2007

A new beginning

Five days since I wrote anything on this mind-space. After the Alum-Current Batch meet on Wednesday, I found some time to watch this Tam Movie called Mozhi which translates to "language". Towards the end of the movie my recommendation rating went from a B to a D. But for some reasons this movie was okay - the usage of bright colors which was quite contrasting from the usual movies that hit the screens. The blend of the colors in the movie in terms of the background, or the clothing used by the actors brought some good emotions. The humor was rich and natural. At some points, one could actually relate himself to being a part of the story. But I always keep wondering why all Tam movies and a lot of other movies as well, have happy endings. Its perhaps the influence of writings from ancient times - examples are of Ramayana and Mahabharata and yes, you can name a lot of other stories too - the kings and the might warriors. Almost every story has a happy ending and that is attributed to the thought-flow of the script writers. Yes, we do have people who write tragedies and that end up being good movies, but the audience does not accept that very positively.

It was time for team building again. We came to Hyderabad and found ourselves in GreenFields where we had to spend two days(the weekend). It wasnt quite an interesting event because we had done most of it and were actually getting trained to do it for the next batch. Living in tents and bamboo huts was quite an experience.

The Class of 2008 is very interesting. Since yesterday, there have been enough people who have asked me about jobs and outgoing salaries. Although it freaks me out that people are worried about jobs and nothing else from day one, I wonder what kind of demands would be made to administration to fulfill their needs. The class is much diverse compared to ours and I am really happy about that. Now people will never complain that the IT background proportion in the batch is very high. This time they are almost a minority. Which is very good because this puts a lot of responsibility on the students and the staff to work harder to get better companies on campus. Its a risk and at the same time very rewarding if efforts are channeled effectively. A number of people I met are worried about grades and scores as well. I hope their preferences change soon - either they study study and study or else they'll end up worrying for the next few terms as well. Some of them would be happy if there was a book on "How to be on the Dean's List", but there will come a time when they'll have that realization. And after every conversation, I always wondered why I did not have any such questions during my orientation. Is Gyaan (knowledge) too much of bad medicine?

Anyway, as things were - yesterday's party, scores least on my party rating scale for parties at ISB. Now that I am back on campus, I am completely out of touch from the outside world. It feels nice to be back and stay in Exec Housing - all expenses paid and taken care of, courtesy ISB.

2 comments:

Chiranth Channappa said...

there's not one, but many books on "how to be on the Dean's list". The list consists of every book that was recommended in the course packs from Term 1-8 but I never bothered to refer to. :-)

have fun with the orientation!

Chiranth

Unknown said...

Hey mama "mozhi" is really one of the better movies I have seen, why are you so bent upon sad endings?

Btw will catch up with you in a months time one way or another.